Anabolic steroids, or GEAR as it is commonly known in the fitness world, is an often time misunderstood drug. Everyone knows that steroid use rapidly builds muscle growth and strength. Steroids are also synonymous with cheaters as in baseball, the Olympics, bicycle racing and even sometimes, bodybuilding. Bodybuilders will often times refer to themselves as a “natural bodybuilder” (and often times that is a lie) to separate themselves from bodybuilders that use anabolic steroids. However the overall king of the steroid user today is the average guy that wants to look fit and healthy.
One of the main stigmatisms that surround steroid use is that is causes all kinds of negative side-effects. Many of these so called side effects, are either way overblown or just flat out false. Lots of propaganda shows have tried to paint steroid use in a light that could only be considered absolutely ridiculous. However when shows like the Ben Afflecks’s after school special shows a young man completely out-of-control, suicidal, murderous “roid rage”, or the television show Life showing a steroid user that could only be described as a walking blood thirsty zombie with blood coming out of his eyes, people get the wrong impression. Well over 1million people admitted to using steroids in 1997. That number obviously was much lower the the actual amount of people that used steroids, and common sense would dictate with the ease of getting gear online today, that number is a whole lot more today. So where are all these zombies with blood coming out their eyes killing children? Just a ghost story to keep the population in line and away from anabolic steroids. For an actual unbiased look, I would suggest watching Bigger, Stronger, Faster*
Some of the popular side effects that are associated with anabolic steroids.
- Roid Rage-This is always the most common misconception. It has been shown that a very small group of users can see some increase in their natural aggressiveness, it is not as it is portrayed. If you were not an aggressive dick before steroids, you wont suddenly become one.
- Acne-yes some people see an increase in acne.
- Liver Destruction-There is a risk with some oral steroids damaging the liver. Avoid those as much as possible. Some orals, like anavar, do not pose that risk.
Gynocomasti(or bitch tits)-Yes you can grow man boobs while using steroids, however this is easily avoided by using an anti-estrogen like Novelex for Post Cycle Therapy(PCT), or Aromasin during a steroid cycle.
- Baldness-Yes this may speed up the this process some if you are already have a propensity for male pattern baldness.
- Sterility-Only temporary while using anabolic steroids.
- Shriveled testicles-Again this is temporary but using Human Chorionic Gonadotropin(HCG) and having good PCT combats this.
- High Cholesterol-This is actually a bit of a concern. This is the biggest side effect for a user of steroid user. Be safe and keep it checked.